Permitting/911 Addressing/Garbage Pickup

Building Permits

Any construction project over 150 square feet in size must be permitted. If construction is begun or completed without a building permit, a permit must be purchased and the fee is doubled. 

Contact the Permitting Office at (912) 496-3826 with any questions regarding this process.

Permit Fees

Download Permit Fees Here

Building Permit Application

Download Building Permit Application Packet Here

Mobile Home Move On Permit Application

Download Mobile Home Move On Permit Application Packet Here


Household Garbage Pickup

If you have any issues with your household garbage not being picked up or if the can is damaged, please call Meridian Waste at (904) 849-5122.

Yard Debris & Miscellaneous Garbage Pickup

For yard debris and miscellaneous garbage pickup, call (912) 496-4321.


911 Addressing

All residences and businesses should have their 911 address posted, meeting the following suggested guidelines:

  • The numbers on residences and businesses should be at least 4 inches high.
  • Numbers should be a contrasting color to the background.
  • Numbers should be placed on, above, or at the side of the main entrance, so they can be easily detected from the street.
  • If the entrance is more than 50 feet from the street or cannot be seen from the street, the second set of numbers should also be displayed on the mailbox or at the end of the driveway.
  • Remember - your mailman always comes the same way. Police cars and fire trucks may come from any direction. Be sure to mark both sides of your mailbox or mark your house number in such a way that it may be easily seen, no matter which direction they are approaching.
  • Reflective numbers or a light-up sign is recommended.

Can you be found?

  • Can your house number be seen from the road?
  • If your address is posted on your mailbox, can it be seen from either direction?
  • Is it obvious which mailbox goes with which house? Or is it in a group?
  • Is your mailbox in front of YOUR house? Can your house number be seen at night?
  • If multiple houses are located on a driveway, they should have a stake at the beginning of the drive with all the house numbers posted on it, plus, there should be a stake or house number posted on each house.
  • Numbers should be posted on the side of the house facing the road it is addressed from.
  • Numbers should be legible from the road and free from obstructions.

Why should I post my 911 address?

  • Many Charlton County EMS employees do not live in Charlton County and are not familiar with all of the street names. They need all the help they can get in an emergency and this is why a clearly marked structure is important.
  • In an emergency, you cannot expect to be found if you simply describe to the dispatch office, "the blue house with the red barn in back." The 911 dispatchers have a map and can find your 911 address, but the first responders do not have it in their vehicles.
  • The main concern of everyone is the safety of all Charlton County residents. You never know when you may be the next one to call 911 for an emergency. Be sure your house number is posted and visible from the road so you can be found as quickly as possible because every minute counts.